Every once in a while, I come across a room that just stops me in my tracks and makes me say “wow!” …and this lovely bathroom is one of those rooms! I definitely have bathrooms on the brain as I have two current bathroom projects on the go and have been immersed in tile options, vanity choices, shower fixtures and the like. This elegant Euro bathroom looks fantastic, yet has many finishes that can be found in your local stores and has a timeless feel that won’t date quickly—all the more reason that this room is one that inspires me!
So let’s break it down…what are the elements in this space that elevate it and make it stand out?
1. The first thing that stands out to me is the tile—both the floor tile and the wall tile. A herringbone pattern is a design element that screams Parisian elegance and never goes out of style. It is a basic rectangular tile laid in a pattern that adds SO MUCH movement and interest to a space and honestly is one of my most fav floor patterns of all time. It is on my bucket list of things-I-want-to-do-in-my-house-one-day-before-I-die.
Yes…I am a devoted fan of herringbone!
As for the marble hexagon wall tile, I really like how it is only used three-quarters of the way up the wall. It is just enough, but not too much! Hexagon tiles are very popular right now and can be seen on floors and backsplashes in magazines and Pinterest boards everywhere…but this is a place I have not yet seen it used and I really think it looks timeless rather than trendy in this application.
2. Now, that window…that tub…and that chandelier are not design details to be ignored. These pieces are the focal point of this bathroom and are used to stunning effect! Black Painted or metal windows are all the rage and here it really highlights the unique shape of the window—if it was white, you would not see it as much and the window would fade into the background. Floor length drapery enhances the luxurious look and adds the elegant Euro touch in an unexpected place.
The curvy tub softens the hard edges of the bathroom and looks soooo inviting! Having a separate bath and shower is also a huge design shift that replaces the built in gigantic whirlpool tubs of the past and uses space so much more efficiently! Glass walled shower enclosures are a huge trend, but really make sure that it suits you and your family…if all of you are sharing the bath then maybe a frosted treatment might be more practical 😊 That being said, the fact that you can see through the glass makes it visually light and also allows you to feature tile accents and add style to that little corner of the room.
The beaded chandelier is a showstopper and adds a unique element to this room…if this light were more of a modern chrome style or a glitzy chandelier, it would TOTALLY change the look of this bathroom. Sometimes, a light fixture can do that! It’s the piece of jewelry for the space that makes the whole room work in such a way that YOUR personality shines through—and that is what you want! Look for a light fixture that isn’t just your standard three bulb drum shade and splurge a little…seriously, it IS worth it!
3. Another thing I notice about this inspirational Euro bathroom is the simplicity of the vanities, mirrors, and wall sconces. The clean lines of the white cabinetry and stone counters makes all the other details shine and stand out that much more. Your eye is able to focus on the design details that create that elegant feeling—like the marble and herringbone floor—rather than being drawn away from that. That is a great way to save as well…who would know if those cabinets came from a big box store? …they could be and you’d never know because of the splurges made elsewhere.
4. The brass hardware in this bathroom is something not to be ignored either…it’s on the wall sconces, the cabinetry hardware, faucets and bath filler, and even on the shower doors. This is a HUGE trend right now in bathrooms and kitchens as well. The warmth of the metal makes the whole room feel less stark and more approachable. More comfortable. More livable. More elegant. Another detail that inspires me!
Even a bathroom needs some stylish accessories and the lovely rug adds the right amount of color, pattern, and euro-flair to this space. The clear acrylic table by the tub is a fab juxtaposition to the traditional rug and is just perfect for the space! This room is just pure gorgeousness to me and I can’t help but admire Olivia’s work from ReDo Home & Design (all pictures were from this site).
5. The last thing I will say that I love about this space and why it inspires me is that it is do-able for any homeowner. If you are in the Hamilton area, you can source these tiles at Centura or Sarana Tile; the cabinetry could be from Ikea; the hardware from Home Depot; the bath fixtures from Barton Bath & Floor. See what I mean? Great design can be accessible! Of course, if DIY isn’t your thing, then we can help you source whatever you need for your next bathroom renovation. Just give us a call and we can get the process started.
I hope this elegant Euro bathroom has inspired you as much as it has inspired me. I’d love to hear your comments and thoughts and always appreciate your feedback! By liking, sharing your thoughts in a comment or even sharing this post with your friends you are helping others be inspired as well. Thanks so much!